Amos Merrihew, ARW[1, 2]

Male 1738 - 1794  (56 years)


Personal Information    |    Notes    |    Sources    |    All    |    PDF

  • Name Amos Merrihew 
    Suffix ARW 
    Born 2 Sep 1738  Dartmouth, Bristol County, Massachusetts, United States Find all individuals with events at this location 
    • Name spelled 'Marihue' on the 1790 Federal Cen

      Amos Marihue
      State: NY
      Year: 1790
      County: Dutchess
      Township: Northeast
      Roll: M637_6
    Gender Male 
    Died 19 Nov 1794  Nine Partners, Dutchess County, New York, United States Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Person ID I3376  32 Generations
    Last Modified 1 Nov 2010 

    Father Preservid Merrihew,   b. 30 Jan 1703/4, Dartmouth, Bristol County Ma Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. Aft 1790  (Age > 87 years) 
    Mother Sarah Taber,   b. 2 Mar 1704/5, Dartmouth, Bristol County, Massachusetts, United States Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. Yes, date unknown 
    Married 2 Apr 1727  Dartmouth, Bristol County Ma Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Family ID F2805  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

    Family Elizabeth Spooner,   b. 28 Feb 1737/8, Dartmouth, Bristol County Ma Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 19 May 1798, Nine Partners Patent, Dutchess County North Y. Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 60 years) 
    Married 2 Apr 1762  Dartmouth, Bristol County Ma Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Children 
     1. John Merrihew,   b. 16 Jul 1779, Old Dartmouth, Bristol County, Massachusetts, United States Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 6 Jul 1863, Smyrna, Chenango County, New York, United States Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 83 years)
    Last Modified 18 Jun 2018 
    Family ID F2802  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

  • Notes 


    • Amos merrihew, son of Preservid and Sarah (taber) Merrihew was born in dartmouth, mass sept . 2, 1738. He served for a short time in the revolutionary war. His occupation was farming . He married apr. 2 1762 Elizabeth spooner. She was the daughter of simpson and sarah (jenny ) spooner. She was a great granddaughter of william spooner the emigrant and his 2nd wife hannah pratt, and second cousin of hon. Walter spooner.

      Amos Merrihew's name appears in the petition to the legislature that a portion of the town of dartmouth be set off into a separate township as New Bedford. The petition became law Feb , 23, 1787 and the following year he removed with his entire family - except his son peter - from their home near the "stone bridge" at the head of the Acushnet river to what was then known as "Nine Partners", Dutchess Co. N.Y.. The locality he settled in became the township of Stanford Nov, 1794, his wife died may 19, 1798.

      AMOS MERRIHEW was a farmer, and, with his entire family, excepting his son Peter, removed, the latter part of the last century, to that part of New York then known as "Nine Partners."

      1) Records of William Spooner of Plymouth, MA & his descendants Thomas Spooner, 1883
      2) Mayflower Births & Deaths by Susan E. Roser

      http://members.dar.org/DAR/DARnet/pi/PI.cfm?Action=Full_Record&Patriot _ID=665741

      Revolutionary War record:
      Merrihew, Amos, Private, Capt. Benj. Wilcox's Co., Col Nathaniel Freeman's Regt. Entered service Sept. 29, 1777. Served 30 days on a secret expedition to Rhode Island. Roll sworn to in Suffolk Conuty. Also Capt. Thomas Crandon's Co., Col John Hathaway's Regt. Entered service Aug. 2, 1780. Served 6 days on an alarm in Rhode Island.

      CHRISTIAN CHURCH AT BARKERSVILLE.
      This church was an offshoot of the Galway church, and was organised May 3, 1845, with eighteen members. Their names were Asa, Ruth, Sarah, Stephen P., Ira J., Edward, and William C. Barker; Latham and Susan M. Coffin; John and Rhoda Mosher; Amos, James, and Rhoda Marihew; Hiram and Polly A. Carpenter; Delong Tabor; and Mary Ferris. The first deacons were Hiram Carpenter and Amos Marihew. The church was built in the summer and fall of 1845, finished off and dedicated in the spring of 1846. Rev. Allen Haywood preached the discourse on that occasion. The pastors, in their order, have been Latham Coffin, D.M. Fuller, Elder Daman, William J. Huyck, John Showers, J. Pratt, D.P. Warner, and Joel Gallup.
      About one hundred and seventy different persons have belonged to the church, and the present number of members is seventy-eight. The church is a plain structure, capable of seating three hundred people, and valued at $1500.

  • Sources 
    1. [S145] Mass Sol & Sail in War of Rev 17 vols, Volume 10 page 635.

    2. [S1] Imported GEDCOM file.